Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Home Sweet Home


This year, Dan and I are living in our own house! It's being provided by GWC, and we love it, after my initial displeasure. (It was late when we first arrived, and I was exhausted. I don't believe I was incredibly positive that first night, but obviously a lot has changed.) We're surrounded on three sides by cornfields which are looking pretty parched nowadays. Due to this, we don't have any neighbors to speak of, but we have more wildlife than at our last apartment. We mainly enjoy it because it's peaceful and quiet.

When Joanna came out to visit, she helped me do a lot of fixing up. We finished unpacking, bought paint, decorations, bar stools, fabric for curtains, and other things to make our house feel more like ours. Throughout these pictures, you'll be seeing Joanna's artistic and h
elpful home decorating abilities. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, though. Enjoy!

This is our kitchen. Joanna and I sanded, stained, and finished the stools. Perfection doesn't quite describe them, but they useful and cute! This is where we eat breakfast. I also made the curtains that are hanging in the window, which was quite a task for me, as I have little sewing experience. Fortunately, I own a sewing machine, thanks to a good friend! I like how they turned out, although again, they aren't perfect.
From the kitchen, we walk into the dining/study room, where Dan and I each have a desk. It's a nice area for studying. We eat most of our meals out here.

Our living room is the next room, where our t.v. lives, as well as our washer & dryer and Dan's bike. (Note: all of this furniture was out here when we came, thankfully. Most of the furniture is the same stuff we had at Houghton!)
Our bathroom, although functional, is not all that beautiful, and I won't include a picture of it here. I'll move on to the upstairs, where we have three bedrooms, only one of which we really use. The other is a guest room (hint, hint!) and the last contains our clothes, the reason for which you'll see shortly.
JoJo and I painted the master bedroom "Newport Blue".
And this is the reason for the clothes bedroom... the hugest closet ever! A part of this house I wouldn't want to change.
So that's the cyber tour of our house. We do have an extra bedroom or two to house visitors, if any of you would like to come. Consider this an open invitation. We're adjusting to our new surroundings, of course, but our house is starting to feel like a home.

I'll leave you with the view from a kitchen window. Not a bad view -- peaceful and pleasant. Come see it for yourself!

2 comments:

Andrew Brautigam said...

peaceful and pleasant? hah.

Eric and Bethany said...

Hi Hilary and Dan! I love your blog and the tour of your house. What part of Wisconsin are you in? I (Bethany) lived in northern Wisconsin near Eau Claire and Chetek for a while before college and liked it a lot. The midwest in general is great. We have relocated to Arizona for now. A crazy change! You can hear about our adventures at bereinhold.blogspot.com.