Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pondering...

I'm thinking about running a marathon.

There. I said it.

In fact, I've moved past thinking about a marathon, and I've started planning to run a marathon. I'm debating between the Pittsburgh Marathon and the Flying Pig Marathon. There's a difference of 2 weeks between them, and one happens to be located significantly closer to our home. However, Pittsburgh has family nearby, and I'm pretty sure they'd come to cheer me (or possibly us) on. (Dan is thinking about training for one too. He just hasn't informed me if he's doing it or not.)

Why a marathon? Why now?

Part of it is so I can join the other family members who have run marathons -- my Dad, brother, sister-in-law, and multiple relatives.

Part of it is because I want to know that I can run a marathon. The Biggest Loser finalists can run marathons -- I'd better be able to as well!

Part of it is because the timing is right.

Part of it is because we have amazing bike ways that I can run along, located not a quarter mile from our apartment, with drinking fountains at convenient intervals throughout.

Part of it is just that I want the challenge.

And the last part of it is because I've been eating way too many of these:


And these:

And I've made toffee and hot fudge sauce and caramels since. Uh oh. Training, here I come.

P.S. The bottom spritz cookie is a camel. How cool is that?

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I think it is a great idea. I'm planning on running the Wineglass marathon in October. If you do Pittsburgh your nephew will come cheer you on and maybe run a few miles with you.

Jill said...

Love the camel! You can totally do a marathon. Go go go, Hilary! :)
Shelley - FYI, I think the winegalss marathon (is that the one in Corning?) sold out early this year, Mike was thinking of doing it but missed out.